Saturday 24 September 2011

Goodwood Revival

One of my favourite weekends last year involved a day spent at Goodwood Revival, a festival celebrating vintage motor racing, aviation and (most importantly, for me), fashion. This year, it's this coming weekend (16 to 18 September), and I'm staccato with excitement - I've rounded up friends and family for a jolly day trip from London. If you have no plans (or if you can postpone those you have) and think you'd enjoy an eccentric, chic, revved up style parade on land, heels and air, make this your top priority, I urge you - it's a thoroughly splendid adventure. �

The period extravaganza stretches from the styles of the 1940's to the 1960's, and everyone gets dressed up to the nines - a mix of World War II costume, prom dresses and monochrome miniskirts (and that's just the start). Children can also have a ball - I saw many little 'evacuees' and mini F1 drivers on my visit last year. Walking about is like stepping back in time (albeit a slightly schizophrenic one as styles cover 30 years!), a feisty, frenetic, fabulously vital living fashion show. "The Revival is theatre," says Lord March, Goodwood's host, "The circuit is literally dressed up like a huge film set, and that includes the competitors and spectators. Almost everyone is dressed in fantastic 1950s creations, and the efforts people go to are amazing." My suggestion, if you're lacking inspiration, is to find sartorial tips here. There's also a kaleidoscope of vintage stalls selling clothes, home wares and retro curios so you can improve your outfit whilst on site (and your home, later). The fair alone could occupy vintage enthusiasts for the whole day, i would imagine! Music from bygone days, dance tents, games stands and vintage beauty parlours also augment the tone to fizzlingly upbeat levels. �

Throughout the day cars purr around the track - the buzz of a contemporary F1 championship matched with period grace. Even if you are no petrol head you can't help but be caught up in the sheer elegance of the races, entranced by the Spitfires, Hurricanes and Mustangs performing elaborately choreographed swoops and dives in the skies above, and swept off your feet by the convoys of vintage motorcycles. Last year I was lucky enough to wangle my way into the paddock to see the cars up close and personal as they were being preened, polished and repaired before the races, while this year I've got a special date with Honda, which designed its first motorised bicycle in the 1940s (see some of their featured vehicles above), so I hope to have some seriously impressive photographic mementos of me draped, trophy like, over their wheels/bonnets... I'll report back, I promise...

Trust me, it's a day you won't forget in a hurry. go go go.�

General admission prices to Revival start at �36, call +44 (0)1243 755055, email ticket.office@goodwood.com or book on-line at www.goodwood.com/motor sport

Source: http://www.easyliving.co.uk/blog/news/09-2011/goodwood-revival

Manicure Nail Art Supplies Acrylic Nail Supplies

No comments:

Post a Comment